Thursday, September 18, 2008

Quite Possibly My Favorite eBay Purchase Ever

Generally when I shop on eBay I start out looking for something very specific, then get sidetracked when sellers say "see the other items in my eBay store." This random clicking around often leads me to items I didn't know I wanted but must have.

Recently I came upon a great little eBay treasure in this purely serendipitous manner. I wanted it so much that I bid on it four days before the auction ended just so I wouldn't forget. It's a little gold oval ID bracelet with my name engraved in script.


And though I really dig things with my name on them, what's so awesome about this bracelet is the inscription on the back: "With Love Don / 2-14-45." How lovely--a 63-year-old Valentine's Day gift.


Judging from the many estate items offered by the seller, I have to conclude the both the recipient and the giver are not longer with us. The seller probably picked up the bracelet at an estate sale for next to nothing. I bought it for $13.50--and of course I would have gone higher. There was only one other bidder and I was sending you-don't-know-who-you're-up-against vibes their way.

I'm so enamored of this bracelet. I wonder at what point in their relationship Don gave this to my namesake. Was he courting her (that's what they did in the '40s, afterall)? Were they married? I like to think she loved and treasured the gift. This is an example of what's so wonderful about vintage. I love to imagine the stories behind the old items I acquire even if I'll never know for sure the life they lived.

2 comments:

listeasy said...

For businesses that operate not only web stores, but brick and mortar retail outlets, it's important to be sure that stock can be controlled centrally, and that orders taken through stores can be managed by the same system as used in the website. That means that it's simple to see what needs to be done, what orders must be filled, and to manage schedules, deliveries, and other tasks. Web shop providers are available that can give you control over multiple outlets at once. For smaller businesses, however, this feature would be unnecessary. Learn more with List Easy

Kaylee said...

I have the raw beauty of these islands already experienced and I would therefore also like recessed felt when I saw the photos.
wedding dresses