Thursday, December 18, 2008

The One Thing That Always Makes Me Happy No Matter How Crappy the Weather Is: Boots

Greetings fellow shoppers! Did you miss me as much as I've missed you? It's been more than a month since I've posted. Why, you ask? Could it be that Material Girl has not been shopping?

Pretty much.

It's not the bad economy stopping me--it's winter. Getting dressed is just a big cold ball of no fun in the winter. I can't bear the thought of icy breezes wafting up a skirt or dress. And having even partially bear legs in 20 degree weather...ugh. (Sure, there are tights. But tights are not particularly warm and I've yet to find a pair that doesn't give me at least a little bit of a muffin top.) So it's pants pants pants. Trouble is I only have like two winter weight pairs and they're both too short to wear with heels. (Go buy some new pants, you say? Spend a few days being 5'2" and go pants shopping then tell me that again.)

So it's really just jeans jeans jeans which is boring boring boring. Normally in troubled times like these I would shop to cheer myself up. I went out a few times (pants shopping and otherwise) and always came home empty handed. Oh so sad. There was only one thing left to do: Buy boots.

I'd recently purchased a white zip-up pair of Docs that I really love (with my pants), but some days are simply not white boot days, so I took advantage of a sale at onlineshoes.com and bought the Doctor Marten's Zena boots in black (love the zippers!). They're make me feel a little tough on snowy and icy days (when wearing heels would just be silly).



But this basic black goth kid-ish boot, while comfy, versatile and useful, wasn't quite cutting it as the footwear to pull me out of the winter yucks . I needed something cuter, girlier...shinier.

I'd been coveting a pair of gold Alexander Hotto ankle boots on 6pm.com for a couple of months. They'd been sitting in my shopping cart. I visited my shopping cart several times a week to make sure the last pair in my size hadn't been sold out from under me. So I made a declaration: If they still have them on Monday when I get paid, I'm buying them. (Because who doesn't make shopping declarations? Come on--at least once you've said, "I know that sweater was too expensive, but if I go to the store today and they still have one in my size that must mean I was meant to have it.")

Shopping kismet was in my corner and the boots arrived on Wednesday. They're quite fabulous and, indeed, quite shiny. Kinda like wearing the sun right on my feet. Ha! Take that winter!

1 comment:

Kaylee said...

Graphic designer Anna Härlin recently sent us these sweet letterpress wedding invitation from Gmund paper, combined with some digital printing, paper and fine typography.
Kaylees Bridal