Monday, September 17, 2007

Randomly

  • I've been on vacation. There was not much in the way of shopping opportunities since I was with all my in-laws, my three-year-old, and Cheapy. I did, however, manage to hit an antique mall, a pawn shop, and an estate jewelry store and picked up a great faux diamond cocktail ring, a quite fab turquoise necklace (partly subsidized by my mother-in-law), a pair of sterling hoop earrings, and a really weird necklace made out of...I'm not sure what it's made--acrylic or plastic, but with an organic feel. I saw said item in a wonderful jewelry section in the antique mall (which was one of the nicest ones I've ever seen--very classy and well-stocked, yet not overwhelming). I tried it on. I couldn't quite figure it out. I thought about it for two days. I went back and bought it. I have no idea what to wear it with, but I think it would be cool just hanging on my wall. I think my sister would dig it.
  • There was an interesting article in the September 9th issue of the New York Times Magazine on designers doing lines for lower-end stores (Payless, Target. etc.) and how it has effected their careers. The gist of the piece was that the designers upped their visibility despite the fact that they occasionally were dropped (at least temporarily) by more upscale stores. For instance, I heard that Macy's dropped Vera Wang's lingerie line because her Simply Vera line, which recently debuted at Kohl's, includes lingerie. (If you haven't seen the Simply Vera commercials or ads, you might possibly be living under a rock. There was a good 9- or 10-page ad in September Vogue and I've seen TV spots, ads in Lucky, etc. It's also selling out online. I imagine in the stores as well.) I say hurray to the young up-and-coming designers and the Issac Mizrahi types alike. Those of us with limited discretionary funds should have a chance to find some affordable style.
  • I'm beginning to get over my sequins phase (although not completely) and I'm working up a leopard print jones. I have this buttery soft brown leather tulip skirt I got at the end of the season last fall (a steal on eBay--the skirt cost a little more than the alterations). I'm thinking and nice animal print shoe would be just the thing to wear with it. Somehow boots just seem too, well, leathery. I found a tremendous pair by Donald J. Pliner. (If you click through to view them check out the multi-view and be sure to admire the heel. Since I can't really afford them at the moment, I found a cheaper alternative by Oh...Deer! (at right) They're cute and furry and I love the print/red contrast, but can I actually wear a shoe by Oh...Deer! Called Lipstick?

No comments: