Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Hip Designers Did White Shirts for the Gap; I Tried Them On. Here's My Review

April 15th. The day our tax forms must be on their way to the IRS. The day Juno comes out on DVD and Blu-ray (cause how could you not know that if you've been in a mall or anywhere on the Internet). The day the Gap debuts their latest collection of cool-designers-do-the-white-shirt. I visited the Gap at The Mall today and tried on each and every one of them. (They are all $78 or $88.)





These four white shirts are all by Phillip Lim. I found the first one (top left) to be too boxy and too long (keep in mind I'm 5'2"). The sleeves are nice and I like the detail on the placket

The second one
(top right) made me feel like a fancy waiter. (Note to the Gap: I apologize if there's some Wild Violet lipstick in the vicinity of the collar of the shirt I tried one. It was quite snug going over the head.)

The third one (bottom left) was pretty cute on, but I'm really over this sort of babydoll cut. And having to attractively tie the tie at the neckline before I left the house would make me late for work.

The fourth one (bottom right) on a good day, sexy librarian; on a bad day unattractive school marm.




Of this group I like the first one (left) by Michael Bastian the best. I always like a Western cut and what's not to love about a shirt with snaps. It's nicely fitted, but it was too long for me. On someone a few inches taller than I am, this would be a great choice.

The second shirt (center) by Band of Outsiders
is just too much white shirt for me. If I was channeling my inner Lindsay Lohan, I'd grab some leggings and this would be a fab dress. Good sleeve length and good cut.

The white dress (right) by Three AsFour looks good on the model, but not on me, and probably not on most women who aren't 5'8" and a B-cup. It really shows off the shoulders nicely however.




My favorite white shirt is not available on the Gap website so I had to copy this group picture to show it to you, fellow shoppers. It's the second one in on the right--the one cut like a tank with one spaghetti strap and one thicker strap. This shirt was really flattering. I love the cut and the asymmetrical snap placket. I would have purchased it except for one thing: there's no way any brassiere of mine can go under this little number. Material Girl generally needs some support, but I'll go hippie when I need to. But, come on--under white? This looked terrific on the mannequin who had no nipples. Otherwise, ladies, we'd be giving the world a little more boobie info than it needs.

No comments: