Saturday, August 16, 2008

Preparing for Fall, Thinking About Sweaters

Although it's still the height of summer, the days have been cooler and less himid the last few weeks and I can see the September light at the end of the summer-tunnel. Before I know it, autumn will be here, and that means one thing: sweaters. Cozy, warm wool, cotton and cashmere..I cannot wait to put them on to shield me from cool fall breezes.

I've made my first sweater purchase of the season, a cashmere wrap sweater from Banana Republic, pictured below in coral. I got it in black during last weekend's summer sale at BR. This is a great wardrobe staple--it's thin enough to roll up and carry in my bag, and it's versatile in that it can be wrapped several ways or worn long and drapey in front.


I've decided that each fall I should purchase one sweater I deem spectacular and special. Last year it was this one, an olive green, asymmetrical, boiled wool dream hoodie from Anthropologie. It can be buttoned myriad ways, and kills the need for a scarf under my winter coats. And it's super warm as well as interesting. It may be my favorite item in my closet. (I purchased this full price during a spell of emotional shopping and still refer to it as my I-had-to-lay-off-four-people sweater, but that doesn't make me love it any less.)



This fall, I think I may have found my spectacular sweater, or at least one to put in the running. It's this asymmetrical (do you sense a pattern) wool cardigan with appliquéd flowers bursting from shoulder to hem. I've tried it on in store and it's an excellent fit for me--the slight flare and nipped in waist flatter, and the length is just right. The color, too, is fab. (And I even saw one in my size with a broken button, so perhaps a I could get it discounted.)


I'll keep looking for that grand sweater in which to invest and hope that this one won't sell out too quickly. I must note that the current crop of fall Anthropologie sweaters is fantastic compared to these from last year.

No comments: