Tuesday, February 26, 2008

In Response to a Comment: Is Material Girl Shallow?

The other day I got the following comment on my post about a lunchtime shopping trip:

I stumbled across your blog, and wanted to say that I'm truly sorry that you haven't discovered so many of the beautiful things in life that exist outside of department stores.

If you allowed yourself to expand your world, these things wouldn't mean anything to you.

I hope you try to experience other things that are out there one day. There's a lot in this world; it'd be a shame to miss it by surrounding yourself with meaningless objects.

All the best,
Ameryn

Thanks for your comment, Ameryn. For the record, however, I am well aware that there is a world beyond retail stores. There are many many things I love, enjoy and apppreciate including but not limited to the following: watching my three-year-old observe the world and watching movies that make me laugh or cry and visiting other cities small or large and being with my friends and chatting with my family and practicing yoga and going to work and riding in helicopters and hot air balloons and cooking and eating and tasting wine and collecting rocks and seashells and visiting galleries and museums and pondering politics and seeing the leaves turn to fall colors and hearing a new baby cry and smelling it's fuzzy little head and really loud thunderstorms and learning a new fact or a new word or a new idea.

There's nothing wrong with enjoying a lovely skirt or a beautiful pair of shoes as one goes through life. We all must get dressed every day. Why not make it an enjoyable endeavor and an act of self expression? Fashion is an art and I appreciate it. Beyond sewing on a button, I couldn't imagine creating a garment. I'm in awe of those who do, just as I'm in awe of a writer when I finish an amazing novel. My blog is for fun. It's a way to further enjoy and share two of the many things I love--shopping and writing.

So, Ameryn, please don't judge a Material Girl by her cover.

No comments: